Saturday, May 28, 2011

Share your gifts

Ever feel that you've exhausted the limits of creativity and connection and that nothing you could do, create, or offer the world is original (or, even necessary)? Ok, maybe that's just me. In this hyper-connected world, we're overcome with good ideas, innovation to the n'th degree, and original thought seems an impossibility.

But you are the only you. And I am the only me. And the more we focus on what we can offer as a unique individual to this messy, chaotic, collective, the greater our potential for impact, inspiration, and innovation.

Often, I fall into the comparison trap (maybe you do, too) and tell myself that "if only I were _____ like ____" and "too bad I'm not ____ like _____" and "my life would be more meaningful if I had ________ like ________."

What a challenge it is to accept who you are right here, right now; rife with imperfections as we are, we each have the capacity to experience a meaningful life in which our service to others (by sharing our gifts) outshines any deficiencies we may (or think we may) have.

As a yoga teacher with a busy class schedule, I frequently feel that, at best, I'm just parroting myself from class to class and, at worst, that I don't have anything to offer the broader yoga community. Yet, my body continues to offer insights - original or not - when I step onto the mat; it's my interpretation of those insights that is my gift to the yoga community. 

What are your gifts and how do you share them?

No comments:

Post a Comment